Friday, February 13, 2015

♥ Phyl's Valentine's Day Movie Picks ♥

Top Pick
Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday (1953)
This classic love story is about  reporter that meets a run-away princess.
Intending to get a scoop (and a raise) for his paper, he pretends not to know
who she is. They then spend the whole day together: in Rome.
 
Eddie Albert, Audrey Hepburn, and Gregory Peck
 

Gregory Peck put his hand in the Mouth of Truth and pretended that it was bit off.
Audrey's reaction is real.
 
Playing in the Trevi Fountain between takes
 

 
For a lot of laughs
William Powell and Myrna Loy in Double Wedding (1937)
 
William Powell dressed like this should be reason enough to watch
 
 
Waldo and Irene have been living with Margit (Loy) for the four years that they have been engaged. Margit has planned the wedding and the honeymoon - in fact, Margit plans everything down to what they will have for breakfast every day. The only problem is that Waldo is a milquetoast and Irene does not want to be married to a milquetoast. So she says she is in love with Charlie (Powell), a bohemian artist/producer who lives in a trailer behind Spike's Place. When Margit confronts Charlie about giving up Irene, Charlie sees that she is the one for him. To make everyone happy, Charlie will have to help Waldo get a backbone.
 


 
Melvyn Douglas and Myrna Loy in Third Finger, Left Hand (1940)
 
 
This wonderful romantic comedy had my brother and I laughing so hard! The scene at Niagra Falls is hilarious! You must hear Mryna Loy's accent! Watch it here!

 
Magazine editor Margot Merrick (Loy) pretends to be married in order to avoid advances from male colleagues. Unfortunately, things don't go to plan when Jeff Thompson (Douglas), a potential suitor, uncovers the deception and decides to show up at Margot's family home posing as her husband!
 
How many times do you have to tell her good night!

 
Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby (1938)
 
 
If you have not seen this movie yet, you should be ashamed of yourself!
 
 
While trying to secure a $1 million donation for his museum, a befuddled paleontologist
is pursued by a flighty and often irritating heiress and her pet leopard "Baby."
 
They meet.
 
She calls him (even though he told her not to).
 
This happens.
 
Then they lose the leopard.
 
Then they wind up in jail.
 
And then it comes to a crashing end.

Walking around on the RKO lot with 'Baby'
 
 
What's your favorite classic movie to watch on
Valentine's Day?
 
All images found via Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. It would be hard for me to pick one that's my favorite to watch on Valentine's Day. Both "The Philadelphia Story" (or its musical counterpart "High Society") and "Sabrina" rank pretty high on my list of romantic movies, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both of those!!! It was hard to pick just a few. I didn't want to overwhelm everybody haha. I will probably post about them at some point. Maybe have a romantic comedy month... ♥ (I actually watched the original "Pink Panther"yesterday *guilty face*)

      Delete
  2. I watched Shall We Dance for Valentine's Day. It's my favorite Astaire/Rogers film. :-). And actually, I haven't seen Bringing Up Baby....and I'm extremely ashamed of myself. Thank you for knocking some sense into me; I'm putting it on hold at my library right now. ;-).

    I adore romantic comedies, though....I love your idea of a romantic comedy month!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I will have to do that then! Maybe in April...

      I have never seen an Astaire/Rogers film, only them seperate. I worked my way through several screen couples already: Powell and Loy, Flynn and de Havilliand, Mickey and Judy. I guess they need to be next!

      Delete