Friday, June 3, 2016

Ten Movies on an Island: Screwball/Romantic Comedies


Screwball and Romantic Comedies are my favorite movies. They are usually the kind of films I find myself watching over and over. To read more about the differences between Screwball Comedy and Romantic Comedy, check out my post here.
1. Theodora Goes Wild (1936) - Melvyn Douglas & Irene Dunne
2. Bringing Up Baby (1938) - Katharine Hepburn & Cary Grant
3. Bachelor Mother (1939) - Ginger Rogers & David Niven, Charles Coburn
4. Third Finger, Left Hand (1940) - Melvyn Douglas & Myrna Loy
5. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (1941) - Robert Montgomery & Carole Lombard
6. The More the Merrier (1943) - Jean Arthur & Joel McCrea, Charles Coburn
7. Magic Town (1947) - James Stewart & Jane Wyman
8. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) - Cary Grant & Myrna Loy, Melvyn Douglas
9. Sunday in New York (1963) - Jane Fonda & Rod Taylor, Cliff Robertson
10. Not with My Wife, You Don't! (1966) - Tony Curtis, George C. Scott, Virni Lisi
Honorable Mentions: Double Wedding (1937), The Lady Eve (1941), Princess O'Rourke (1943), Two Guys From Milwaukee (1946), Never Say Goodbye (1946), The Lady Takes a Sailor (1949), The Thrill of it All (1963), Send Me No Flowers (1964), Sex and the Single Girl (1964).

I had Roman Holiday (1953) on here but when I looked it up it said Drama/Romance so I took it back off. It's one of those movies that fits under several genres and defies categorization. What would YOU put it under?

Tomorrow, my post on Princess O'Rourke for the Royalty in Film Blogathon and Sunday my Top Ten Comedies!

3 comments:

  1. Great list, Phyl. I was really happy to see "Magic Town" in there. Such a cute film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was better known. I just came across it at my library and after I watched it wondered why I had never heard of it before!!

      Delete
  2. TOUGH ONES! I would take The Awful truth! and one of my faves the Philadelphia story!

    ReplyDelete