Thursday, February 2, 2017

Movies I watched in January

Lizzie will be airing again on TCM on March 28th at 12:30am ET.

Here are the movies I watched in January in order of release year (films with an * have been viewed previously):
  1. Public Wedding (1937) - Jane Wyman & William Hopper
  2. The Hardy's Ride High (1939) - Mickey Rooney
  3. Five Came Back (1939) - Lucille Ball, Chester Morris, C. Aubrey Smith
  4. *Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) - James Stewart & Jean Arthur, Claude Rains, Thomas Mitchell
  5. Brother Rat and a Baby (1940) - Ronald Reagan & Jane Wyman, Wayne Morris & Priscilla Lane, Eddie Albert
  6. Flight Angels (1940) - Dennis Morgan, Wayne Morris, Ralph Bellamy, Jane Wyman, Virginia Bruce
  7. Bad Men of Missouri (1940) - Dennis Morgan, Wayne Morris, Jane Wyman, Arthur Kennedy
  8. Bewitched (1945) - Edmund Gwenn, Phyllis Thaxter
  9. The Razor's Edge (1946) - Tyrone Power & Gene Tierney, Anne Baxter, Clifton Webb, Herbert Marshall, John Payne
  10. Crisis (1950) - Cary Grant, Jose Ferrer
  11. *Monkey Business (1952) - Cary Grant & Ginger Rogers, Charles Coburn, Marilyn Monroe, Hugh Marlowe
  12. I Love Melvin! (1953) - Debbie Reynolds & Donald O'Conner
  13. Lucy Gallant (1955) - Jane Wyman & Charlton Heston, Thelma Ritter, Claire Trevor, Edith Head
  14. Lizzie (1957) - Eleanor Parker, Richard Boone, Joan Blondell (and Johnny Mathis!)
  15. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Gregory Peck
  16. *Groundhog Day (1995) - Bill Murray & Andie McDowell
  17. Tommy Boy (1995) - Chris Farley & David Spade
  18. Blind Dating (2006) - Chris Pine
  19. Star Trek (2009) - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Anton Yelkhin, Leonard Nimoy
  20. Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013) - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, Karl Urban
  21. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014) - Chris Pine & Keira Knightly, Kevin Costner
  22. Star Trek Beyond (2016) - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg
Favorite Film of the month: Star Trek (2009)
Least Favorite: Brother Rat and a Baby (1940) - Wayne Morris was SUPER annoying in this movie


And yes, I do currently have a thing for Chris Pine. But hey! His dad was in CHiPs (1977-83) and his grandmother Anne Gwynne was a starlet in the 30s and 40s (though I have yet to see any of her films) so I think it's okay ;) Plus, he can sing like Sinatra

10 comments:

  1. That's quite a list! I keep wanting to see "Lizzie," since it's based off of one of my favorite Shirley Jackson books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to see Lizzie for a while. It came out the same year as The Three Faces of Eve that Joanne Woodward won an Oscar for. If you have TCM it comes on again March 28 at 12:30am ET.

      Delete
    2. I don't have TCM, but I think it came out on dvd last year so I might try to get a hold of an inexpensive used copy.

      (By the way, sorry for accidentally ignoring the comments you left on my blog last month. I always saw the note about them on the old homepage and somewhere along the line my e-mail notification setting got changed, so when the homepage changed I didn't realize they were there. :( )

      Delete
    3. No TCM!!! :(

      Yeah when blogger updated it messed up stuff for me too. I only get email notifications for about half the comments I get. And now I have to click on reading list to see who's posted recently and I always forget. I've been visiting some of the blogs I typically comment on and looking at the past several entries.

      Delete
  2. Chris Pine is a cutie! I quite like his take on Capt. Kirk. Really dug him as Jack Ryan, too.

    Man, I'm so envious of that list. In January, I watched Rogue One (twice), Open Range, the BBC Emma, a couple eps of random TV shows, and Her First Romance (1940). Really think that was it. I've been making up for that in February, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I see of him the more I realize what a fantastic actor he is! I've started watching the original Star Trek now :)

      This month has started off slow for me movie-wise. I've been watching Timeless (great show by the way!), Star Trek, The Crown, and Victoria. Also plan on watching Doubt which starts next Wednesday for Dule Hill who was in Psych (one of my all time favorite shows).

      Delete
    2. Well, fun as Chris Pine is, he's really no William Shatner <3

      I hear good things about Victoria!

      Delete
    3. I agree :)

      Personally I prefer "The Young Victoria" with Emily Blunt but this series is still good. It's a little less historically accurate than I would like.

      Delete
  3. Hi Phyllis,

    Just wanted to let you know that I'll be hosting a Franchot Tone Blogathon in April. (P.S. We watched a lot of the same Jane Wyman films in January!) If you would like to join in, please go to: http://franchottone.blogspot.com/2017/02/announcing-franchot-tone-blogathon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know!! I'll definitely participate :)

      Delete