Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Movies I Watched in July


This month I was busy participating in the 50 Years of Hitchcock class (offered by TCM and Ball State University on Canvas) and binge watching Suits to catch up for season 7. There was a smaller than usual amount of films I wanted to see on TCM this month, which is good because I was able to clear off the dvr for Summer Under the Stars. Below are the films I watched (* means I've seen it before).
  1. Anthony Adverse (1936) - Fredric March & Olivia de Havilland, Claude Rains
  2. Andy Harry's Private Secretary (1941) - Mickey Rooney, Lewis Stone
  3. Tortilla Flat (1942) - Spencer Tracey, John Garfield, Hedy Lamarr, Frank Morgan
  4. Hail the Conquering Hero (1944) - Eddie Bracken, Ella Raines, William Demerest
  5. The Dude Goes West (1948) - Eddie Albert, James Gleason
  6. *The Lady Takes a Sailor (1949) - Jane Wyman & Dennis Morgan, Eve Arden
  7. Clash by Night (1952) - Barbara Stanwyck, Paul Douglas, Robert Ryan, Marilyn Monroe
  8. The Moon is Blue (1953) - William Holden, Maggie, David Niven
  9. The Gun That Won the West (1955) - Dennis Morgan
  10. Our Miss Brooks (1956) - Eve Arden
  11. Teacher's Pet (1957) - Clark Gable & Doris Day, Gig Young
  12. Gigi (1958) - Leslie Caron & Louis Jourdan
  13. The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1963) - Glenn Ford & Shirley Jones, Ron Howard, Jerry Van Dyke
  14. *Rocky (1976) - Sylvester Stallone & Talia Shire, Burgess Meredith (one of my top ten favorite movies)
  15. *Down Periscope (1996) - Kelsey Grammar, Bruce Dern
  16. *Star Trek Beyond (2016) - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, John Cho
  17. La La Land (2016) - Emma Stone & Ryan Gosling
  18. Despicable Me 3 (2017) - Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Julie Andrews (I saw it at a drive-in theater, my first!)
Least Favorite: Anthony Adverse (really long and boring) and The Courtship of Eddie's Father (depressing and a little too frank about sex). 

Favorite Film of the Month: Our Miss Brooks and Teacher's Pet, both about teachers!

2 comments:

  1. Oh fun! Gigi is one of my parents's favorite movies! The bits that I have seen are pretty good!
    I just got Rocky so I am going to see it for the first time in a few days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Gigi more than I thought I would (though I have to admit I did fast-forward some of the songs).

      I think that Rocky is one of the best films ever made. The actors portrayals of the characters are absolutely amazing and the script is just perfect. It definitely deserved every Oscar it won. I hope you love it as much as I do!!

      Delete